Thursday, April 20, 2006

Being the Sole Witness the Good People Do on a Daily Basis…

I made a promise to myself a while ago that I would never blog about an individual donor or a visit or a gift. Because the blog is for my own personal edification and I had gained no one’s permission to share his or her stories, I committed myself to keeping what I learn private. But that does not mean I can’t share what I see on a daily basis.

The greatest outpouring of money, goods, homes and prayers, I had ever witnessed was after Hurricane Katrina. After the attacks of 9/11, an equal amount of charity was given. But in New York, the attacks happened so quickly that the majority of the nation could not help in the immediate rescue efforts. At the end of the attacks, the U.S. was once again plunged into a military effort making retaliation a needed part of the response effort.

Katrina did not just hit the Gulf region of the nation and go away. It destroyed homes, businesses and left millions with nothing and hundreds of thousands trapped in the city of New Orleans. Unlike 9/11, days after the storm people still needed first responders. Even now, victims are living with people in cities far from their homes. It was the first time that the entire United States acted as first responders. Goods, supplies and volunteers poured in from every region of the country assisting in ways that normally only the Red Cross and other agencies do.

Nor was there any military target to attack in response. Both sides of the aisle tried to use Katrina as a political pawn. But those who saw only a power gain where quickly groaned off the stage by the American public. Without, the fear of another attack, Americans united for a purely humanitarian mission.

Now, that generosity, selfless giving and sacrifice, I see daily in my job. I visit with people who would be self-described ‘common’. Teachers, farmers, bankers, insurance salesmen and the like all who want to help in whatever way they can. They have the capacity to make the world a better place, and they have the desire to do so.

So, the school supplies in Uganda, ministry radio shows in the US or prison ministry in Ethiopia may never make the news. These donors’ actions may never be lauded the way all of America was for its response to the Hurricane or 9/11. But they are making a difference.

I am never happy to see a crisis or people suffering. But what does bring a smile to my face is the fact that even though the need may never make the news, there are people lending a helping hand. They are quietly and many times without thanks loving their neighbor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home