Monday, April 24, 2006

An Evolving Statement of Career Code…

Last night, for many reasons not needed here, I started working on a statement on the relationship between development (fundraising) and the ministry (program) side of the organization. In every organization, it can have tightrope walk intensity. In great organizations, that pressure serves as a catalyst for action.

Though I had been thinking about this relationship all week, it was a line off the West Wing that started me boiling it down to one sentence. The line was uttered by Josh to someone he was trying to convince to work at the White House. It went something like, “Campaigns are about promises; administrations are about achievement.”

My thoughts started out as.

Development is about promises; ministry is about achievement. Which became:

Development is about promises; ministry programs are about achievement.

Then I spoke with a wise old sage of fundraising who reminded me I was forgetting the most important part the donor. It was not the organization, the staff of programs or anybody but the donor who did the action. The whole organization only functions as the arm for the donors. We do not do anything; they do. Therefore, my creed had to be redesigned.

Development is about finding the donors’ dream; a ministry program is about enabling the donor’s wishes.

Development is about vocalizing the donors’ dreams; ministry programs are about enacting the donors’ love.

Development is about vocalizing donors’ vision; ministry programs are about working towards donors’ wishes.

I am not saying it is done, but it is as far as I have gotten today. As I work, I’ll keep updating. If anyone (I don’t expect anyone to read this), but if ya’ll do and have an idea please e-mail me at npluka@gmail.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home