Monday, June 26, 2006

But First Lady Reagan Told Me Not To….

Being from the “Just Say No” generation, society has bombarded me, through commercials, TV specials, songs, and classroom lecture, with the knowledge of certain fatality if I did not avoid drug use. By fourth grade, we knew even one joint could destroy us. By twelfth grade, most of us discovered that was not true. It took a lot more. And some set out to find exactly how much.

There was always the exception to the campaign. Medical drugs were right, good and should be taken to help you feel better. Or in my case, they kept my quality life near normal.

In college, a friend who would have eaten lead paint if he heard it gave him a good buzz inspected my pills. “What would these do?”

He was holding a bottle of Monopril up to the light. “You know the feeling you have after running? Being out of breath, heart pounding, can just sit?”

“Yeah.”

“Those would make you feel that all of the time.”

“Oh.” He placed the bottle down and started playing with my roommates pipe cleaners.

None of the prescribed medications I took would be envied by anyone, until now. Ignoring the fact, I have three oxycodone saved up for a rainy day. The anxiety drugs could be hawked to anyone who wanted to take that little bit of fear out of public speaking or job interview. For me, all they do is keep my panic attacks from feeling like I am will completely stop breathing to a milder, but still very uncomfortable, chest heaviness.

As I pop a pill, in the back of my head, I hear, “Right. Just Say NO!” Nancy Reagan, I’ve seen the light and am going to say, “Yes.” And hope they gave me drugs that are more powerful in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home