Thursday, June 08, 2006

Life without Cable TV, Sucks….


My parents are not wealthy people, but they do live in the upper-middle class strata of American life. Dwelling thirteen stories above most homes in a building complete with a doorman and underground parking is different from a fixer-upper on the wrong sides of the track.

Yet, my parents do not have cable TV. They never have. When I was a child, they refused to get it on the premise that I would spend too much timing watching TV. Instead, they did what most Texan families do, gave me a gun, and asked me to kill something.

Even after we moved to The Lou, out of the ranch style home and into the high-rise no cable was gained. After, I moved out my parents saw no reason to get cable. They rarely watched TV and when they did, my father was angry with himself for doing so. As I have matured, I have formed the belief that he did not get cable to prevent me from watching TV but to check his own actions.

Now, as I recover from yet another hospital stay, I am stuck at their home. So instead of a ballgame, The Daily Show, movies on Showtime, I get network TV at its worst.

I now understand why the West Wing and Law & Order were the only two things I watched on network TV; the rest sucks. If I watch one more military/police/young people crime shows I am going to scream. When did all the sitcoms become knockoffs of Friends, which was not very good in the first place?

I do not have a creative mind, but seriously for the amount of money that people in TV make can’t they come up with something better?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home