Sunday, June 18, 2006

World Cup, Bar Three-Germany vs. Poland…

It was a critical second game for both teams. If Germany won, they would advance out of pool play. If Poland lost, they would be eliminated and their third game would be only for pride.

As part of my recovery, I drove my mom to the contractor placing a bid to redo my parents’ bathroom. While she sat and looked plans for new sinks and light fixtures, I went next door to the sports bar to watch the game.

The bar is in the middle of Ladue. During the day, the customers are either men in suits escaping the office for lunch and a beer and retired men with nothing to do but talk to the barkeeps and watch a sport that does not interest them.

I sat down ordered a Fitz’s root beer and homemade potato chips. The game began with little notice from anyone in the bar beside me. If a Cardinal report had been, the channel would have certainly changed.

Two men came sat down next to me. One was in a suit; the other wore a polo shirt. They talked as old friends and drank beer. In between plans for the weekend, they made comments about the game. After one beer, they left, and a man with a bushy beard joined me.

I recapped the game for him during the halftime. Since, I am no great fan of the sport all I could report was no one had scored. Our conversation went around to the other games and both struggled to say something knowledgeable about the whole tournament.

A retired man who, in his free time, had seen more of the games joined us. He filled in the gaps of our stories.

My mom came into the bar soon after halftime started. I finished my drink and drove home.

I missed Germany’s lone goal. But the fact that I had driven without problems had made the day a better one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home