Monday, August 21, 2006

Facing Our Kong

I like a movie whose symbolism is weak enough that I can see it. So, it should not come as a surprise that I liked the new King Kong. Liked, not loved, or best movie ever, I liked it. I was pleased with it, recommend it to a friend, but never buy it. Acting could be better and some of the computer graphics were overdone.

To my point, one of the obvious symbolisms of the show was that Kong was something we fear. Everyone has their own Kong, and we must challenge it or become like the natives of island and be slaves to its existence.

Though I like movies with easy symbolism, I take it to heart about as much as David Duke’s campaign platforms. Out of coincidence, I used this one. On Thursday August 17, I returned to work after a three and a half week disability layoff. My heart healed, my anxiety waning, it was time to get back to being a Luka.

I am not completely cured. I still feel nervous whenever my pacemaker stimulates my skeletal muscle. The drugs make me slightly dizzy and nauseous. I am afraid to drive on the highway. The apprehension of getting off disability and returning to work remains huge.

All of it is my Kong. A daily beast, I must face and stare down. That is too simple.

I am still the Luka I was in mid-April. Yet, I am hidden under layers of pain, shock, fear, terror and agony. An awful summer eclipsed my life. I must stand up, face the darkness and look towards the light of early fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home