Wednesday, July 26, 2006

One of the Hardest Things I Know and Accept

During my illness, I have my church, pastor, and loads of Christian friends and family praying for me. This is good.

I also have my Muslim and Jewish friends praying for me. I appreciate their intent. Yet, I am sadden by the fact that though they hunger and strive for a relationship with God under their current faith it will not happen. This, for me, is the hardest fact of Christianity.

The virgin birth, the resurrection, the flood, Jonah and the fish, even the end of the world are all easier on my mind. They are all easy to accept once one accepts the idea of God. For if, there is an all-powerful God, then why would anything be unachievable? He is God, after all.

Christianity differs from other religions by the way to achieve perfection/union with God is not through our own actions. In fact, we can do nothing to better our stay. It is the love of God has for us that draws us into Him, His love to send His Son to save us from evil.

Many, including myself, have asked if He loves us so much why would He let anyone suffer or face eternal damnation? O.K. maybe we can accept that bad people will be punished. Hitler, Stalin and all the obvious dictators can go to hell along with child murders, etc. What about people of the Jewish faith (They are after all His people), Muslim, Buddhists or other faiths are they not striving to be good and, more importantly, searching for Him?

It goes back that we all have freedom, a choice in life. Angels, animals, cells and even the universe must obey/worship Him. Humans can do as we please. We can follow His word, follow our own ideas, or follow nothing. It is our choice.

When we reject Him and His Son and find other ways to heaven and Him that is when we foul. For me, it is painful, physically and emotionally, to watch people practice other faiths. To witness people wanting a relationship with Him, yet, because of sin and our free will, they are putting their souls at risk is depressing. (Actually, I can think of no word in the English language to describe the emotion of loss I feel for those.)

Now, the new question, for me, is how do we reach those firmly integrated in their practiced religion? How do we proclaim the Gospel? How do we do it in manner that is not boastful or full of pride?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home