Thursday, September 07, 2006

Fantasy Football…

There they were: all white, all with short hair, all with papers containing dynamite draft tips. Here in their late 20s or early 30s they have abandoned their hopes of athletic glory long ago and now focus on creating a fantasy football team to rival none other. They have left their wives, girlfriends, children or lonely apartments to meet in this smoky bar to hold their annual draft.

It is all business. No one is telling any jokes. No food has been ordered, just drinks. Names of football stars are the only conversation. After they finish, they quickly leave before small talk or discussions begin.

It proves to me, most of us live in dreams. Few of us achieve everything we strive towards. You may love your family, your job, and be wealthy, but there will be something you wish you could do or be. These men play as if they are genius GMs. Trekies wish they could live in outer space. There are many men/women still shuffling in many a band in many a city. I dream I am a writer and a pol. I love my family and think my job is great. I wish I had to do a book signing or write a victory speech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home