Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What A Political Party Name Means….


Joe Lieberman made a great first impression on me. In late summer of 2000, he and VP Al Gore fly into St. Louis for a rally. Ol’ Joe looked like everybody’s favorite grandpa: kind, generous, and a Spiritual man. The type of Joe you could see on the street corner giving candy to kids. He cracked a joke with word damn in his speech. It was witty and shocking at the same time. He was a VP candidate who swore in public, but not offending anyone or directed at anyone. You could almost imagine him reading to his grandchildren before slipping out to have a whiskey at the bar.

Then we lost.

Then this nice old grandpa lost connection to reality. He aged mentally. Like many grandpas, his wit was gone, and he wandered around in a daze. During the 2004, Presidential race he had Joementum while Kerry, Edwards surged in Iowa. This nice grandpa was still living in the days you could ignore Iowa and win big in New Hampshire.

Then I stopped paying attention.

For me, he became a Democratic Senator who would never win the big one, never be VP, maybe a low cabinet post in his aging years. Overall a guy who will vote with you most of the time, and when he does not he will be doing that rare act of bi-partisanship. It may piss me off when Democrats reach across the aisle, but I respect them for thinking of the country’s well being over the party’s.

I have tried to avoid the Connecticut Senate race. Senator Lieberman vs. Lamont. Sure, I do not agree with everything Lieberman does. If Lamont wins the nomination and then the GOP wins the Senate seat, it will be another example of how lib-labs snatched defeat from the hands of victory.

For me, the logic is simple. We need all the seats we can get if we are to retake the Senate why blow a sure thing because you do not agree with everything Lieberman does? News flash: Lamont will do things you do not agree with.

I digress from my point. Last week, Senator Lieberman announced that if he looses the Democratic nomination he will still run as an independent. The name of the party will be Connecticut for Lieberman. I think that’s wrong. Maybe, I am no position to question, and maybe, I am making a big deal out of nothing.

Connecticut for Lieberman sounds like the state is working for him. Shouldn’t it be Lieberman for Connecticut? Isn’t he there to serve the people? Is he not their representative?
No matter what his party’s name, he is better than a Republican is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home