Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Waitin on the Fizz-Life’s New Catch Phrase….

After yet another doctor appointment, I stopped by Blackberry Cafe. An old haunt, I spent most of time in graduate school there reading the intellectual history of the Whig Party and surviving off humus and green tea.

My anxiety, which had been down in previous days, rose as I became stuck in traffic getting there. Deep breathes and talking to the barista as she made my French soda calmed me down. Well, at least to the point I could get in the car and drive home. Close enough to see normal, but miles away from it.

Blackberry has one of the best French sodas in St. Louis. The difference between Blackberry and all other cafes is at Blackberry the baristas take the time to blend the club soda and syrup by shaking the drink martini style. The result is the syrup becomes mixed with club soda; instead of down at the bottom of the cup.

This also produces a lot of extra foam from the soda. Several times while she made the drink, the barista had to stop and explain she was, “waitin on the fizz.”

I smiled. The phrase made a lot of sense to me. One of my doctors had been talking about how I had to just take it slow with this anxiety.

“Don’t try and rush to do everything. It is ok not to do some stuff. Instead of saying, you have to do this by today. Say, I want to do to this by the end of the week.”

I think that is what she said, probably, not an exact quote. It is something many people have told me: my parents, workers at their condominium, friends, etc.

I am beginning to think that they are right. Obviously, I am not back to normal. For one thing, I have money left at the end of a weekend. Nevertheless, I am getting back. Instead of always embracing Less Yacking More Whacking way of life. I need to slow down at be content waitin on the fizz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home