Monday, July 10, 2006

World Cup Final, Parent’s Living Room…

Two months after my small procedure, I am still recovering. Translation is: I still feel horrific: shortness of breath, anxiety, extra heartbeats, and general torso pain. All of these wonderful symptoms still confine me to my parent’s home for the better part of the week. I do make it out for such social events as appointments with doctors, checking the mail at my house and picking up prescriptions at the pharmacy.

France and Italy played the World Cup final to millions, perhaps, billions around the globe watching. I watched it in my parent’s living room having popular sporting fare as water, water crackers, and banana nut bread.

In the past month, I have learned little about soccer. In fact, I have actually lost respect for the game. When the World Cup started: I was excited to learn about a sport that fascinates the whole world, except America. I learned the following.

A one-one tie in hockey is thrilling; in soccer, it is just boring. In fact, since most games have few shots on goal, the whole game is watching a team move the ball twenty yards and then loose control.

All players are wimps. I am not saying I can run as much as them. They are in a state of physical fitness that is replicated in David. But step on their foot or slightly touch them and they roll on the ground in agony.

The injuries are faked to get fouls and time out. Now, I compliment those who flop in the NBA, but at least have a reason to fall. After you fall, stop acting like a baby, and get up.

The referees are poor. Once every four years, the world comes together to play this game, and FIFA hires these guys. Everyone complained about them. In the NBA, MLB, or NFL, they would be fired. In soccer, they are invited back next time. If this is the best soccer can offer, I will quit my job and become a soccer referee.

Finally, well that is actually it. I did enjoy watching the world come together, seeing fans of every nation celebrate victories, cheering for the underdogs, hearing that the Ivory Coast stopped its civil war for the game. However, next time the world chooses a sport to play can it be basketball?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home